Canadian Artists’ Representation / Le Front des Artistes Canadiens (CARFAC Ontario) is an affiliate of Canadian Artists’ Representation / Le Front des Artistes Canadiens (CARFAC National). CARFAC Ontario maintains a database of its membership containing the following: name, contact information, the artist's medium and career phase. The primary purpose of this database is to facilitate communication with our members; and to provide them with the services for which they join. Upon joining CARFAC Ontario, members automatically become members of CARFAC National. A portion of the membership dues received is remitted to CARFAC National. CARFAC Ontario provides secure access to membership listings to the CARFAC National Office per the Memorandum of Understanding.
Collection of Information Methods
Information is collected from members upon joining and updated throughout their membership. Forms are received via telephone, mail and fax. The membership form can be found at http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102279329376-53/membership+form_+2+in+1+.pdf. Private information is entered into a database which is accessible only by trusted CARFAC Ontario staff. The database is backed up weekly and is stored securely.
CARFAC Ontario offers members the option of using PayPal Online Payments to remit their membership dues and make other purchases. PayPal Online Payments is a trusted service provider that processes credit card payments over the internet and remits these payments to the organization. Personal information such as name, address, phone number and payment are then remitted to CARFAC Ontario by PayPal Inc. Credit card information is not transferred to CARFAC Ontario.
The CARFAC Ontario website has several portals where personal information is gathered and added to the membership database.
The web page: http://www.carfacontario.ca/page/update-your-information_116/ collects information from new members who have paid using PayPal Online Payments to complete the entries into database according to the Membership Form. CARFAC Ontario serves all artists in Ontario. We regard all artists, whether members, non-members, past members, one time callers or Visual and Media arts colleagues, as stakeholders in the visual arts community. Communicating with our community is a valuable way in which we serve visual and media artists. When non-members request our services, they are entered into the database as information requests or potential members. Contact information from potential members is entered into the database with express permission from the inquirer. Information such as e-mail address is valuable in communicating with non-members about our services, workshops and up-coming events. If you do not want your personal information entered into our database, please inform us at the time of your inquiry. For statistical purposes, your inquiry will be entered into our database, but without any personally identifying information. The web page http://www.carfacontario.ca/contact/ collects the name, email address, and city of residence of non-members who wish to receive information about CARFAC Ontario. This information is also entered into the membership database.
CARFAC Ontario stores the information collected as outlined above with the strict confidentiality and the respect that our members deserve. We do not provide personal information to third parties with the exception of CARFAC National as outlined above. We are governed by the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and the Global Privacy Standards Principles outlined by the Government of Ontario. http://www.ipc.on.ca
1. Consent: Upon making contact with CARFAC Ontario, individuals will expressly release consent for the collection and use of personal information for the purposes which CARFAC Ontario has outlined above. Consent may be withdrawn at a later date.
2. Accountability: Duty of care responsibility for the protection of private information lies with the Executive Director of CARFAC Ontario. If ever, transferring personal information to third parties is required, CARFAC Ontario shall seek equivalent privacy protection through contractual or other means.
3. Purposes: The purpose of collection of personal information is stated above and relates only to the efficacy of service provided by CARFAC Ontario.
4. Collection Limitation and Data Minimization: The collection of personal information is limited to that which is necessary for the efficacy of service provided by CARFAC Ontario. The collection of personal information is kept strictly to the membership database software approved by the Board of Directors of CARFAC Ontario. It is accessible strictly by trusted CARFAC Ontario employees.
5. Use, Retention, and Disclosure Limitation: CARFAC Ontario shall limit the use, retention, and disclosure of personal information to the relevant purposes identified above, except where otherwise required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary to fulfill the stated purposes, and then securely destroyed.
6. Accuracy: CARFAC Ontario shall ensure that personal information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary to fulfill the specified purposes.
7. Security: CARFAC Ontario assumes responsibility for the security of personal information throughout its lifecycle consistent with the international standards that have been developed by recognized standards development organizations.
Personal information shall be protected by reasonable safeguards, appropriate to the sensitivity of the information (including physical, technical and administrative means).
8. Openness: Openness and transparency are key to accountability. Information about the policies and practices relating to the management of personal information shall be made readily available to individuals.
9. Access: Individuals shall be provided access to their personal information and informed of its uses and disclosures. Individuals shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
10. Compliance: To find out about complaint and redress mechanisms, and communicate information about them to the public, including how to access the next level of appeal.
440-401 Richmond Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 3A8